National Solar Repository of Singapore at https://www.solar-repository.sg
The National Solarisation Centre (NSC) under the Solar Energy Research Institute of Singapore (SERIS) at the National University of Singapore was established on 1st December 2013 with an initial funding of S$3 million. The Centre aims to support the large-scale deployment of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems in Singapore, which is the most viable clean and sustainable energy source, through the provision of technical expertise to both the public and private sectors. The Centre will also address market and technological barriers to the adoption of solar energy in Singapore, including:
- Lack of awareness among building owners of the cost effectiveness of solar electricity and the associated economic opportunities;
- Limited technical know-how among potential adopters about which roofs are suitable for PV systems, and the associated requirements;
- Space constraints in a densely built-up urban environment;
- Beyond 2020: Impact of a large amount of variable solar electricity on the stability of Singapore’s electric power grid.
To achieve its objectives, the Centre coordinates the following activities:
- National Solar Repository
Regularly updating the National Solar Repository website (https://www.solar-repository.sg) as the central information platform where general knowledge about PV can be found and crucial data of PV systems operating in Singapore (such as location, size and performance) are maintained.
- Solar Potential Analysis
Full assessment of the potential of solar power in Singapore through aerial view data, which will eventually be provided to the general public via an interactive web application.
- Floating PV test-bedding
Exploration of the use of inland water reservoirs for PV system deployment to provide additional solar capacity.
- PV grid integration study
Study of the impact of the high variability of solar power generation on Singapore’s electric power grid and application of lessons learned from best international practices.
Centre achievements since 2013:
- Supported numerous (50+) solar feasibility studies for government agencies in the SolarNova programme.
- Verified the first renewable energy certificate transaction in Singapore for Apple Inc. (so-called TIGRs).
- Assisted private companies in structuring their solar PV tenders to include best practices and attract quality installations.
- Engaged closely with the Building and Construction Authority (BCA), Energy Market Authority (EMA), Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), and the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) on glare advisory for PV installations.
- Co-authored with ERI@N the Zero Energy Building Roadmap for Singapore.
- Supported government agencies such as the Energy Market Authority (EMA), National Climate Change Secretariat (NCCS) and National Environment Agency (NEA) on policies related to solar photovoltaic deployment.
For further information, please contact:
Head, National Solarisation Centre