The PV System Monitoring Laboratory at SERIS conducts real-time analytical monitoring of photovoltaic systems as well as meteorological parameters. SERIS’ proprietary award-winning monitoring system is based on rugged industrial-grade National Instruments hardware and LabVIEW software for remote data logging and remote control of SERIS-monitored PV systems and meteorological stations. The monitoring system is highly versatile and can be customised to meet specific project requirements. It has been deployed successfully in various projects across Asia-Pacific and Europe, and it fulfills the stringent EMA PSO data requirements for PV systems in Singapore.
The PV System Monitoring Lab’s video wall, displaying the live solar irradiance map of Singapore www.solar-repository.sg), live sky images, real-time performance data of several rooftop PV systems, as well as real-time meteorological parameters from several remote stations deployed across Singapore.
Features of the live monitoring systems include:
- Real-time (“live”) data transmission for key PV system and meteorological parameters
- Full compliance with the real-time data requirements for EMA PSO
- 1-second resolution of various DC and AC parameters of PV systems, power quality parameters, and meteorological parameters, such as irradiances measured with different sensor devices and inclinations, module and ambient temperatures, relative humidity, wind speed, wind direction, air pressure, etc
- ± 150 ms time synchronisation with SERIS’ time server
- Better than 99% data acquisition reliability
- Secure data communication via VPN over 4G network
- Live irradiance map for Singapore (spatially resolved). The map can be accessed online at the National Solar Repository (NSR) website, www.solar-repository.sg
- 1-minute sky images from different locations in Singapore, also available on the NSR website
- Solar irradiance forecasting algorithms with different forecast horizons (e.g. 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour and 1 day ahead)
- 6-degrees of freedom floating platform motion monitoring system, designed especially for floating PV systems
- Tailored alarm system according to customer needs (such as inverter trips, grid outages, system underperformance), including SMS and email services
- High-quality online or screen visualisation for various target groups: operations managers, engineers, general public (for example through displays in corporate entrance areas). Daily summary reports of PV system status and performance data via email.
Demonstration setup of a remote meteorological station (left) and a motion monitoring sensor for floating PV systems (right).